Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Digital Transfers of Analog Music





I just finished transferring about 2 1/2 hours worth of old material to digital. There really isn't too much that I can do to make it sound better (other than completely re-recording it) but I did it so that I have it on disc as opposed to analog tape which will either break or deteriorate over time. None of it is really for public consumption and I only did this for myself. It feels good to hear this stuff in clean digital sound. I did boost and clean up the sound as best as I could but you can't really polish a turd (not the songs or vocals themselves, the recording quality).

Since the masters of these exist only as analog four-track recordings and my four track machine died a long, long time ago, these archived music files are all that basically exists of my pre-2000 material, much of which goes back to 1987. Perhaps one day I'll get my paws on another old school analog 4 track recorder and save some of my other stuff. Some of it was very good and some of it was very bad, but I still want to have a record of the things that I've written and recorded so that maybe some time in the future my family and friends can listen to them and discover something about me that they didn't really know.

Har

1 comment:

Ruby said...

It's a good thing you've converted most of your music to digital files now. However, preserving your digital music files just doesn't end here. It's better if you have a data management service that can provide back-ups for your digital files. They can secure your back-ups better and they make sure your files are organized as well for ease and convenience of access. Lastly, they can make sure your digital mediums to protect your files are properly stored so they can last better and you can also track the state of your files online.

Williams Data Management